- 2015 StatsCan Treatment of Drinking Water by Canadian households survey, May 1, 2017.
- Nearly 51% of Canadians use at least one method of drinking water treatment with jugs and on-tap filters the most common forms.
- Newfoundland and Labrador households were most likely to treat their drinking water (65%) and Quebec households were the least (39%).
- Two of the most common reasons for treatment were aesthetic reasons (45%) and to remove chemicals (37%) like chlorine.
- In 2015, 10% of Canadians were issued a boil-water advisory.
|CHLORINE & DBPs
- Chlorine – the traditional method of disinfection in most water treatments – combines with organic matter and oxidizes into potentially harmful disinfection by-products (DBPs).
- Since 1970, more than 600 DBPs have been identified. Eleven are regulated and eight are known carcinogens.
- One in seven diagnoses of bladder cancer, and one in six of colorectal cancer in Canada can be traced back to DBPs (per an Ontario study).
- Direct medical costs of these diagnoses exceed $200 million.
|AVIVE™ HEALTHY WATER SYSTEMS FOR RESIDENCES
- AVIVE™ Systems are a viable alternative to chlorine, using a new generation of hydrogen peroxide along with other advanced technologies.
- AVIVE™ Systems attach to the main supply pipe in a home and combat virtually any water challenge faced by homeowners, whether on a municipal system or private system.
- AVIVE™ Systems aim to provide Healthy Water from every tap in the home through customized design – Healthy Water is naturally balanced, oxygen rich, and free from DBPs.
- AVIVE™ Systems can address many boil-water advisories as proven in the pilot project conducted in Sunnyside, NL where the community was under a boil-water advisory and faced extreme water challenges.
- AVIVE™ Systems are engineered to be compatible with previously installed water treatments.
- AVIVE™ is the 2016 Water’s Next Award Winner for Municipal Drinking Water for its AVIVE™ Water Program in Sunnyside, NL, and 2015 People’s Choice Award Winner for Canada’s Clean 50 Sustainability.
|RESOURCES & CONTACT
Healthy water. Cleaner pipes and tanks. Lower cost. Better source protection…Elimination of disease- causing by-products. Effective recycling, re-use and restore capabilities…Tastes great straight from the tap — so less bottled water. Reduced landfill. Cleaner air. Reduced energy…See what we mean? There really is an extraordinary ripple effect.
- Jim Shubat, Founder and Chief Technology Officer